Posted by on Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM (PST)
THE MOMS LIST: TOP 5 BACK-TO-SCHOOL MUST-HAVES
Sure, the kids will need school supplies, new clothes and the coolest backpack around. But what does Mom get when it comes to back-to-school time? Tastybaby reached out to Moms and Mom bloggers everywhere and asked them what their Top 5 Back-to-School must-haves are and we must say, what an impressive list they came up with! From serious to humorous and everything in between, their answers are sure to provide ample entertainment and even strike a chord for your own back-to-school wants and needs.
1. "Mani-pedi" scheduled the first morning the kids go back to school.
2. 3" binder for HOME---for the zillions of papers that kids bring home from school
3. A Xyron "Create-a-Sticker" gadget - Best $10 you'll ever spend, trust me.
4. Odd/Unique Erasers for Pencils
5. A camera to take the "First Day of School" pics (my girls roll their eyes but I do it anyway)
As a mom, co-business owner, and college professor, both my 14 month-old and I have back to school needs!
1. Cool case for mommy's laptop, syllabi & student papers
2. Fresh supply of Cheerios, yogurt, raisins and bananas for the babysitter's house
3. New storage tub to hold summertime hand-me-downs
4. Car wash and detail... can't feel professional driving in a filthy, crumb-crusted mom-mobile
5. Dressy shoes... flip-flops don't work with trousers somehow... (please tell me Payless is having a back to school BOGO!)
1. A nice clean set of clothes in my bag for when a kindergarten kiddo vomits on me.
2. A nice container of wet wipes for when said kindergartner vomits on me.
3. A small, handy portable garbage container for said kindergartner who vomits on me.
4. A can of air freshener for the room for when kindergartners vomit, or have accidents.
5. A nice bottle of vodka in the freezer, for when I come home from kindergarten.
1. Cool Lunch Box
2. Fabkins (children’s cloth napkins)
3. Sigg Water Bottle
4. One day of childcare for my other kid that isn't in school. Translated: One FREE day!
5. Oprah's chef to make my kids lunches!
My top five back-to-school must haves, huh? Let's see...
1. A calendar the size of a Volkswagon to keep track of all 6 kids' activities.
2. A whistle so I can play "drill sergeant" while forcing the kids to do their homework.
3. A whole lot of paper towels to clean up the messes my youngest two get into when their big brothers and sisters aren't around to help watch them.
4. A gallon of Febreeze to de-smellify backpacks and lunch boxes after a banana rots in the bag all weekend long.
5. Freshly baked cookies to welcome the kids home after a long day of torture, er learning.
My Top Five Back to School Must Haves…
1. A system for labeling my daughter’s Thomas the Train backpack (to differentiate it from the 85 others) that doesn’t include a black Sharpie
2. A magical force field that prevents sand from getting into her hair
3. Two BPA-Free water bottles
4. My preschool teacher’s list of “needs” so the sucking up can commence early and with enthusiasm
5. A gigantic roll of stickers for every day that my little scholar comes home in the same pants she left in
And for moms with babies too young for school…my five fall must haves are!
1. My Bad Gal lash mascara by Benefit, it masks the bags under my eyes that were caused by teething induced sleep deprivation.
2. Some gorgeous chocolate brown cords I just bought that are the perfect cut and make me look skinny.
3. Chedder bunnies by Annies, they are organic and my son thinks they are the coolest thing. They seem to be able to diffuse temper fits! They are magical!
4. My treo, being a stay at home mom is hectic and this is my life line!
5. My son, he gets cuter and funnier everyday. I can't imagine not spending every day with him
Our five back to school must haves are:
1. Let's Go Green for Back-To-School - All recycled school supplies.
2. Be Cool, Eat Cool - Try a new lunchbox look - Bento Box
3. No More Excuses - The dog eating your homework is no longer an acceptable excuse - USB Flash Drive
4. Shoes, Shoes, OMG Shoes - Ecko Shoes Is A Must In My House!
5. Personalization - Locker Decor
My five back to school must haves:
1. A Smart Car. It alleviates carpool woes and the asshat around the corner takes the kids to school while I shop online in my underwear clean the house.
2. Kinerase® Daily Defense Cream SPF 30, it costs a fortune but it lasts all day and doesn't make your eyes sting. I use it on the kids, I use it for myself. Plus, I've saved some money not driving the kids to school.
3. An iPod touch with an iHome to live in. I can't stand the kids waking up to the radio. Why? Heaven only knows what they'll say. If anyone is going to wake Adam and Eve up with wildly inappropriate talk, it'll be me. So yeah, buy the iPod and load the (age appropriate) music.
4. New shoes. What mother doesn't want a new pair of stilettos? Oh, buy the kids a pair of too. I love these!
5. A sense of humor. If all else fails, laugh. September can be a very difficult month, you might miss those little stinkers, and you can be sure that at least one homework fight is coming your way. I urge you, do not start the school year without humor. Sometimes it's all we've got.